News Picks

Monday, September 10, 2007

The BICEP Bulletin, Few Comments But Much Satisfaction

I've been pretty busy lately doing some freelance research and editing. So this is my first opportunity to post in several days.

It was pointed out to me recently by someone that, while they found the BICEP Bulletin very interesting, the blog gets few comments. They asked me do I ever get discouraged, or do I find confirmation elsewhere that the blog is useful. (See comment here). I appreciate the question because, of course, people who take the time, effort and trouble to create and maintain a blog like mine wants it to be useful. Also, it given me the opportunity to evaluate my vision, mission, goals and objectives for myself and the Bulletin. Thankfully, I can say that while comments are few, I gain satisfaction from the effort for several good reasons.

First of all, I'm exercising my 1st amendment right to freedom of speech. Freedom of speech in the United States is protected by the First Amendment to the United States Constitution and by many state constitutions and state and federal laws. I think that most Americans and citizens of other democratic/constitutional nations can identify with this. I'm proud that I have the opportunity to express my thoughts and opinions openly, unlike generations of my African American ancestors.

Secondly, this is great skill building exercise. I'm sharpening my research, writing and critical thinking skills. I'm building on my current expertise and gaining new base knowledge on many topics and subjects. Continuing educating in whatever form is important to me. Also, I've been able to promote myself as a freelance writer, researcher and editor. And who doesn't need to make a little extra cash?

Third, on your side of the blogosphere, you may not see many comments on the Bulletin. But, using tools like Site Meter and Feed Burner, I can track site traffic and know that people are reading or visiting the BICEP Bulletin daily. I have a few subscribers and the blog often produces visits by people doing Google searches. Big shout out to my subscribers (all 15 of you)! Thanks a ton for reading!

Finally, I like to think of the BICEP Bulletin as a form of public service. My main mission is to be be an advocate for responsible environmental management and promote the inclusion of minority groups in the community planning process.

Well, there you have it. I hope that this helps readers to understand why I do what I do and maybe get to know me a little better. I love to get comments from you. But I also get great pleasure from the fact that I can make some sort of mark on the practice of community & environmental planning. Thanks for reading and come back real soon!

Sincerely,

George Jackson
Editor & Chief Contributor
The BICEP Bulletin
Blog for Innovation in Community & Environmental Planning
bicepbulletin@gmail.com
http://bicepbulletin.blogspot.com/